Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Reaction 4: Fluxus

I'm always kind of shocked at how limited art was early on; how little merging there was between each art form.

I like how participatory Kaprow's happenings were, but I don't really think of them as "art", per se; more like a kind of game due to its unaesthetic and participatory nature. I do think that it's interesting how he mapped out each happening like a score of music; specifically timing each section of his performance, much like John Cage.

I thought it was amusing that the artists went as far to make the "flux pills" and make "flux cooporative housing". In addition with the "flux hall", I feel that the movement was very closed-off and that without the public's influence, flux went off by itself and spiraled into a very weird movement.

I admire their idea of giving the public access to their "art"; especially with the audience-participatory acts, I think it seems very fun.

In some ways, the entire fluxus movement reminds me of something young children would do on their own; send funny things through the mail, record themselves doing weird things, make games, eat jello off of furniture and cars, play with matches, whack a piano.

Reunion Documentary

I thought it was interesting that the man was obviously so involved in his memories and yet the person he talked to had never heard of fluxus.

I don't like how all of the composers and artists dedicate their work towards each other; it adds to the feeling of the fluxus movement being cut-off and a fringe act.

No comments:

Post a Comment